Skip to main content

Divorce: Property & Maintenance Issues

Divorce - Property Settlement and Maintenance Issues

Provided that an application is filed within 12 months of a final divorce order or within 2 years of the date of separation between de facto partners and complies with the legislation, the Federal Magistrates Court and the Family Court of Australia have jurisdiction to deal with property settlement applications and spousal maintenance applications. This is subject to either party in the marriage being an Australian citizen, ordinarily resident in Australia, or present in Australia at the relevant date ie., the date on which the proceedings were filed in Court or the date when the application instituting the proceedings was actually made.

Australian Courts do have jurisdiction to deal with property and spousal maintenance applications despite the fact that the parties may not be in Australia at the time, as long as they are Australian citizens. However, there can be major difficulties in enforcing court orders against property in overseas countries. The Court has jurisdiction over the people but not over fixed property unless that fixed property is within Australia.

Independent legal advice should be obtained before taking any steps at all in respect of these matters and relatively few Australian family lawyers have experience with international matters; please contact us using the Inquiry form at the bottom of this page if you would like to engage a qualified family lawyer to provide advice in your circumstances. You will receive a fee quotation in advance of any advice or services being provided.